Wednesday, April 21, 2010

1/3 of the way

As this marks the 1/3 point in my conquest, I've assembled a selection of films I found to stick out. I've been criticized for being too generous with the scores I give out, but I have to disagree. Firstly, the films I've given 10/10 to, they are flawless; they're cinematic, engaging and touching. You shouldn't be afraid to like things. Secondly, not everything needs to be a 10/10 to be one of my favourites. In fact, many 10/10 didn't make the cut; they're perfect films but what I think is worthy of a high score doesn't mean it's a personal choice, but rather I try to judge films critically rather than just picking what I like the most. Keep in mind these are more or less personal favourites, as well as I've tried to give a semi-eclectic range of films. With that, I give you my list of 10 films I feel everyone should see.

1. Magnolia
Over 3 hours and I wish it was longer. This is the story of practically a dozen main characters all so well developed they could carry the film individually. This film has such passion it can't be ignored. The incredible ensemble cast weaved together through a provocative storyline, this is my favourite film.

2. As Good As It Gets
One of the deepest character-driven stories ever. This movie transcends the actors who most definitely have extensive baggage and brings it to a level where you see them as people rather than actors. Truly amazing.

3. Fargo
The Coen brothers made a masterpiece; the dialogue is sharp and the characters are some of the most unique I've seen. They're comical yet realistic, giving the film a tone unlike any other. A perfect balance of the Coens' wackiness and grit.

4. The Deer Hunter
Another intensely long film, but one I feel holds such cultural relevance even 30 years later. The film plays out like life, setting a tone and an environment that mimics real people, and in doing so makes it's message all the more effective. Do not give up on this one, it takes drastic twists and turns that will shock you.

5. Inglourious Basterds
Tarantino's finest film in my opinion. He's found a perfect formula for his extended dialogue to spill out like poetry, yet still be just so badass, and then contrasting with rapid spurts of brutal violent montage. It's beautiful and epic.

6. Let The Right One In
One of the strangest ideas if you haven't seen the elegance of this film; a romantic horror film with vampiric children, dark and ominous yet simultaneously inspiring. This is the best child acting I've ever seen, and even through it's oddness, it's stunning and touching.

7. C.R.A.Z.Y.
This is the best Canadian film I have ever seen; it makes you question why you ever thought there was a Canadian film stereotype to begin with. This shows that a modest budget and an inspired writer/director can create cinematic magic even in a global standard.

8. 500 Days Of Summer
I'm sure many people may think this isn't one of the best films, but I honestly and obviously disagree. Not only is it such a sentimental love story, the way it goes about it is so distinctive it's one of a kind. It's quirky, and edited so well I can't even describe. The attention to detail is beyond belief; just look at their clothing, apartments, offices, bar, everything. Every scene is so carefully put together.

9. Hot Fuzz
This may be another film people are skeptical of. I have to say this is an absolutely phenomenal hybrid of action and comedy; it's self-referential and aware of the genres it's playing with, and it does so in such a way I can't take my eyes off the screen. It's charming and beautifully paced.

10. There Will Be Blood
This film ends and I want to just start it from the beginning again. It has one of what has become my favourite soundtracks I've ever heard. I don't even need to mention the caliber of acting in this thing. It's a cinematic masterpiece.

Honourable Mentions:
Far From Heaven - Modern revisioning of the 1950s melodrama, combining so many social taboos and issues still present today.

Funny Games - Cruel yet refined, this film speaks to the culture of film audiences as well as society itself.

The Messenger - Drastically overlooked, this is a hard-hitting take on the aftermath of war from a perspective rarely seen.

Boogie Nights - Long but worthwhile, this film is dirty but it's grand story and wonderful cast make it a great experience.

A Serious Man - Bizarre and quirky, this film may be boring to some but I found the entire tone and look to the film to be enthralling.