Wednesday, May 5, 2010

128-133

Film#128 - The Addams Family, 1991, dir. Barry Sonnenfeld
I don't even know why but everyone knows who the Addams Family is. I can't say I've ever seen the show, yet I know the characters. And I hate them. This was a chore to watch after the first 5 minutes. It at first seemed really cinematic, and it does have a good aesthetic. The dialogue is atrocious if you're not a child though. The plot is boring. It's overacted on everyone's part, and yeah, that's the style but it could have been much better in my opinion. I never laughed at a joke. I didn't even smile.
3/10

Film#129 - The Player, 1992, dir. Robert Altman
I'm a fan of Robert Altman, but this was a fairly average film. It's interesting, engaging and well planned, and Altman has this distinct style of camera movement I enjoy but it just isn't anything special. It takes a huge stab at criticizing the Hollywood system, pumping out cultural references and little quips about the whole economy, which I like, but it's lack of subtlety in doing so I feel takes away from it. Anyone who watches it will get the vibe immediately, and in that sense it doesn't provoke thought but rather just taking it in and trying to side the audience with the film's message.
7.5/10

Film#130 - Terminator Salvation, 2009, dir. McG
I was under the impression that people liked this film. I've seen the first three, the first two of which were great. The third was a major departure. This was also a departure. They seem to think if they digitally put Arnie into the movies it'll be better, when really it just makes it worse. Christian bale, wow, terrible. The dialogue is horrendous, I was cringing throughout it. It's like no effort at all was put into the screenplay, they just approved it because it's guaranteed to bring people in. And this lack of attention is very clear. The look of the film is at times wonderful, but in all honesty it's a rather simple process of colour correction.
4/10

Film#131 - Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen, 2009, dir. Michael Bay
I thought the first Transformers was entertaining. More of just a feeling that this is cool because I grew up on it. This second film though it much worse. The gimmick of the premise is gone, and it's replaced with a plot so full of holes it's ridiculous. Too many times I was thinking something didn't make sense. There's also so much just whacky scenes like Shia meeting his roommate who apparently set up a massive network of computers as well as full decorated their dorm room in what is apparently the morning before Shia moved in. And why they had a scene where his mom eats a pot brownie and makes a fool of herself I don't know. This really is the definitive reason why people make fun of Michael Bay. In the 2+ hours, there's maybe an hour and a half of explosions. Constant explosions. It's a joke.
4/10

Film#132 - Vanilla Sky, 2001, dir. Cameron Crowe
I thoroughly enjoy Cameron Crowe's style. It's true. This is a bit of a departure for him though, who typically makes coming of age movies, although in a way that's what this is; a coming of age film for adults. Tom Cruise is great in this, he plays the character perfectly. You honestly believe that is what someone would be like if they grew up the son of a millionaire. Cameron Diaz is great, Penelope Cruz is great, Jason Lee is great. It's great. The plot line throws people off though, as it's incredibly jumbled, but one a second of third watch it makes complete sense and you can start to appreciate the complexity to it. It's incredibly existential and dives into philosophical thought full heartedly. I wouldn't judge this film without watching it at least twice, and actually paying attention.
8/10

Film#133 - Hook, 1991, dir. Steven Spielberg
This is one of my favorite movies. Not only did I grow up watching this all the time, I think it's actually a perfect film. The style perfectly captures the vibe of childhood and more importantly maintaining this childlike ability to find enjoyment and do things for others. I could rant about the morals of this film for ages, and I find it incredibly fascinating. The actors are all fantastic in this. Great child acting, and Dustin Hoffman is practically unrecognizable. Just go see it.
8.5/10